Response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread, CPD providers do need to consider the potential impact of this on seminars, conferences and events.
Many CPD events may not involve international speakers or very large crowds, however as providers we are managing gatherings of people. In this context, it is advisable to have some procedures in place.
To support members, CLEAA has compiled some basic general principles that are designed to assist with reducing the transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
- Confirm with external venues that they have taken reasonably practicable steps to protect guests, so far as they are able.
- Arrange to have several pump bottles of hand sanitiser available at seminars and conferences, also some boxes of tissues.
- Consider the crowd density and the nature of contact between participants, including the layout of the venue:
- Can seating be more spread out?
- Where possible, increase the number of food and refreshment stations, to minimise the number of people who congregate at one time.
- Are your participants registered or non-registered, and therefore easy to locate after the event concludes if necessary for public health reasons?
- If an attendee does report as feeling unwell at a program, have a plan in place to ensure that the proper steps are taken. This may include providing a mask for the individual, contact details for the nearest appropriate medical facility etc.
- Review venue contracts to check cancellation and postponement terms and enquire as to their contingency measures.
- Bear in mind that changes in attendance patterns may affect your venue costs and ultimately, your bottom line.
- Review insurance arrangements.
- Consider using live streaming or recording events for attendees who may be unable to attend in person.
- Consider alternate ways for speakers to present (live stream, pre-recorded presentation).
- Review your program registration terms and conditions and consider leniency or temporary changes
Assisting your customer meet CPD obligations during March 2020
- Offer alternative methods of attendance (live web stream, audio) in accordance with local CPD rules
- Substitute in person attendance with online programming where possible and permissible, with no penalty
- Contact local regulators to check as to possible deadline extensions